Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Olsen Twins

Maybe some of you know who they are... maybe some of you don't. Either way I am going to talk about them today. More specifically Mary Kate. In 1987, the twins started their acting careers on the television series Full House. They were hired at the age of six months and filming began when they were nine months old. The show was widely popular during the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Mary-Kate Olsen has been in the public eye since practically since birth. Beginning with Full House followed by They starred in the video series The Adventures of Mary-Kate & Ashley, the ABC show Two of a Kind, and ABC Family's So Little Time. Okay, enough background information. Let's talk about Mary-Kate's health issues. 
"Mary-Kate Olsen seeks treatment for eating disorder." In mid-2004 Mary-Kate entered an treatment centre for an eating disorder at Cirque Lodge in Sundance, Utah. The eating disorder was anorexia nervosa. Now you are probably wondering why I am talking about this subject, let me explain. It is just to demonstrate that figures in the public eye are not a healthy weight. 
"Western society has placed demands on women to stay thin," says Jeanne Rust, executive director of Mirasol, an eating disorder clinic in Tucson. The pressure is even more intense in Hollywood.
This generation is trying so hard to transform their figure to attain the body of a celebrity yet the celebrities are not even healthy. Some girls and boys look up to these celebrities, the celebrities should be a role-model for people all around the world because girls see their role-model super-skinny they assume that it’s all right and they will mimic the celebrities’ action even if it is wrong.

Celebrities are making themselves sick because we as the public put a lot of pressure on the celebrities demanding (a little exaggeration but I couldn't think of another word)  them to be perfect. 
A side note, she not only has been diagnosed with anorexia, she has now recovered, but urged by her family to see Austrian psychiatrist, Ernst Lueger, she was treated for acute depression. Now I am not saying that it's because of the pressure of Hollywood but in my opinion it is. In Hollywood, like I mentioned before, you have a lot of pressure. These celebrities are constantly in the public eye and are being watched with their every move. You are pressured to be perfect and it does take a toll on the celebrities mental state. 

She (Mary-Kate) has said in several recent interviews that she owes her much improved mental health to Dr. Lueger’s expertise.   

"I didn't think I was fat. I just thought I didn't need to gain any weight. But I would drop weight and then I would be comfortable with that number. Then I would lose more weight and that would become my new number." -Tracey Gold

    
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary-Kate_and_Ashley_Olsen#Personal_lives
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2004-06-22-olsen-treatment_x.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary-Kate_Olsen#cite_note-34
http://www.rateadrug.com/Slide-Famous-People-with-depression--mary-kate-olsen.aspx

1 comment:

  1. I really used to like these two, but as of now, I'm not a big fan! They say they've been treated for these disorders, but you see them in the media looking like a tooth pick with a head. It's really sad that fame/media has affected them so much, they used to have so much potential.I really hope people start to realize that beauty isn't what's on the outside or how thin they are.

    ReplyDelete